Join us

 

Katrina Kaif - Interview

www.diddlelive.co.cc

As far as actresses went, one can safely say 2007 belonged to the ethereal Katrina Kaif, at least when it came to visibility. The pretty actress turned her career around last year, giving as many as four hits. It all began with the romantic comedy Namastey London, then extended to another comedy Partner, a Deol family drama Apne and then the multi-starrer laugh riot Welcome. The leggy actress managed to get enough eyeballs to bag her some top projects for the next couple of years, including a three-film deal with Studio 18. What's more, Katrina made detractors eat their words with four hit films last year. A tête-à-tête with the pretty actress:

You had said before that you hoped Namastey London was the big break you were looking for. It was. How does it feel to have your dream come true?

Yes I had and it feels great. Namastey London provided that turning point my career needed. It did me a world of good. But I am hoping it was not the only turning point for me. I sure hope there are many such breaks ahead, which will help me get bigger and better films and achieve the success I want to.

How did Namastey London change things for you?

Well I think the biggest change was in the way the industry looked at me. Yes, I did other films like Apne and Partner but my role in Namastey London was the one that got me the recognition I deserve. It felt nice to be appreciated by people in the industry as they are the ones I will be working with. So it's important they recognize my work and give me more opportunities. I now get much better offers and roles. Even the people who did not think I was a good enough performer are now getting in touch with me.

Partner and Welcome also did very well at the box office. Did the box office earnings translate into a boost for your career?
They were commercial entertainers and this industry is largely driven by commercial films. As an actress, I have to be in commercial films too to be seen and heard. These are the films that are released with 1,000 prints and a cross-section of the audiences sees them. That is not to say that performance-oriented films are not important. I think an actor needs to strike the right balance between performance-driven films and commercial flicks. You need both. Fortunately for me, Namastey London was a commercial film but it gave me a chance to perform too. But you don't get such films always. They are few and far in between.

So are you going to stick to mainstream Bollywood? Or experiment with parallel cinema too?
I don't want to fall in any categories yet. I just want to do films that will give me a platform to show my talent. I am searching for roles and characters I relate to. Also, after doing a few films, I have begun to understand what roles suit me and what don't. As soon as I hear a script now, I can tell if that character is me or not. If I cannot see myself doing that role, I opt out.

So have you gained a better understanding of what kind of films work for you?
I think when it comes to the salability of a film, I have learnt to figure out what will work at the box office and what won't. I now have a fair understanding of scripts and other aspects that make a winner. But it's hard to predict accurately each time. Sometimes, some films work despite not having the winning formula and sometimes, obvious winners fall flat. That's showbiz for you.

You earlier said Bollywood hasn't accepted you completely. Do you think that has changed now?
Well, I would say there is a lot more acceptance now than there was earlier. I don't know about the performance-oriented circles but at least when it comes to commercial films, I feel more accepted. It's encouraging when people recognize your potential.

Your pairing with Akshay Kumar has been pretty successful and the two of you have been cast in several films. He's been doing very well lately. Do you think his popularity has rubbed off on you?
I am happy that people like to see us together. We do make a good pair on-screen and I would say we share good chemistry. But we are very different from each other in reality. Maybe that's why our pairing works. As for the second part of your question, a hit helps everyone involved in it. His popularity does rub off on me and it's the same for any star. The success of Partner and Namastey London too helped everyone involved in the projects.


Check out our New Software's Section
www.Diddlelive.co.cc/software

0 Comments:

Recent Posts

 

NetsiteDiddle